Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Did you Send Out Tacky Pitches Tucked Between Turkey Feathers?

Am I the only one who received numerous Thanksgiving e-mails that began with, "During this season of Thanksgiving, we at (name of company) would like to take a moment to say thank you for your business ..." and then the message switched to, "And, by the way, buy my (insert product here) this holiday season, blah, blah blah?"

What the heck was that all about? It's like giving someone a compliment and ending with a "But" statement that discounts everything just said.

These types of communications are disrespectful to the recipients. As you compose your communications, keep from mixing messages. If you're going to pitch, then pitch; if the purpose of your communication is to educate, then do it; if you're trying to work on building relationships, then do that—say thanks, share what's on your heart, give insights into your purpose, get personal, share your passions. But if you attempt to mix the messages, you'll risk losing your audience.

In fact, I'm considering opting out of the most blatant e-mail pitches I received last week that were veiled under the guise of Thanksgiving. I have to ask myself, "Is that the type of company I really want to do business with?" I don't think so, do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.